Modern homes are filled with expensive electronic devices. Whether it’s our laptops, smart appliances, flat-screen TVs, or smartphones, the last thing we want is for our devices to be ruined because of a power surge.
Common Causes of Power Surges
When we think about what can cause a power surge, lightning strikes are usually what come to mind. However, lightning strikes are just one of several things that can cause a power surge. Here are a few of the most common causes of power surges:
- Restoration of Power After a Blackout – Blackouts and other types of power outages often involve an electrical grid failure that impacts a wide area. When the power is restored following a power outage, the sudden restoration of power to your home can sometimes result in a power surge.
- Lightning – During storms, lightning strikes are common. When lightning strikes power lines near your home, it can result in a spike in voltage that overwhelms your home’s electrical system. This can lead to a power surge.
- Defective Wiring – If there is faulty wiring in your home, it can become an internal cause of a power surge. Signs of defective wiring in your home include circuit breakers tripping more than normal, burn marks on power outlets, and a burning smell or buzzing sound coming from power outlets.
- An Electrical Overload – This can occur if too much power is drawn from a single circuit. Electrical overloads happen most often when too many devices are plugged into one outlet. When an overloaded electrical outlet draws too much power from a single circuit, the circuit can eventually become overwhelmed, resulting in a power surge.
Benefits of a Whole House Surge Protector
Plug-in surge protectors can do a decent job of protecting our electronics from the dangers of power surges. However, a whole house surge protector can ensure every electronic device in your home is protected from a power surge whether the item is plugged into a plug-in surge protector or a regular power outlet. In addition to providing the electronic devices in your home with overall protection in case of a power surge, whole house surge protectors provide other benefits:
- Fire Prevention – Power surges can overwhelm your home’s electrical system, including causing wiring to spark and overheat, which could cause a fire. A whole house surge protector will prevent your home’s electrical system from being overwhelmed, which in turn will prevent electrical fires.
- Protects Large Appliances and Expensive Electronics – Many of your larger appliances, such as your refrigerator, HVAC system, stove/oven, and washer and dryer are too big for a plug-in surge protector to protect them from power surges. A whole house surge protector is designed to protect your home’s entire electrical system, and everything connected to it, from power surges.
- Helps Protect Against Indoor Power Surges – Large devices in your home, such as your HVAC system, can generate small power surges. Individually, these smaller internal power surges don’t do that much damage. However, over time the damage these small power surges inflict can eventually add up to equal the damage inflicted by a major power surge. A whole house surge protector is designed to protect your home from both external and internal power surges.
Speak with Our Experienced Electricians About Your Situation Today
Empowered Electrical Solutions has been helping customers in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area with their electrical services. Our electricians are experienced, skilled, knowledgeable, and dependable. And customer satisfaction and safety are always our top priorities.
To schedule an appointment with our experienced electricians, give us a call at (602) 558-8582 or contact us.